Sunday, February 17, 2013

Snow Lessons

A few weeks ago I went on the Outdoors Club's ski trip to Snowshoe, West Virginia and when I got back, I knew I wanted to write a post about it.  I had a great time and met a bunch of fun people, but I failed to think this through because I didn't take ANY pictures.  Turns out no one else really did either, except for one person who had a GoPro camera on his helmet.  And his photos are a result of someone (I won't name names...) accidentally setting the camera to take photos every 5 seconds instead of taking a video.  So there are some awesome shots of waiting in the lift lines and riding the lifts, but not too much else.  To spice them up a bit, I played around with some filters (filters turn everyone into artists...) and you can see those lovely shots below.  But seeing as those really show nothing of the weekend, I'll have to rely on words to prove that even first year business students live and learn outside of spreadsheets.  This is what I learned:

  • Painfully cold below-zero temperatures were balanced out by pretty awesome conditions on our first day.  We woke up to ~10 inches of fresh snow, which made getting there the night before a little rough, but made for some pretty fun times that first day.  However, it also made my face raw for a solid week.  I need a face mask.
  • Yet another advantage to being short:  almost automatically get to be an inside penguin.  As we stood in that below-zero weather at 1 am outside the then-closed bar waiting for the shuttle to take us back to the hotel, somebody--in a stroke of pure genius--arranged a penguin huddle.  Along with the other girls, I was pushed to the middle and some poor, selfless tall guys (without hats, I might add) shielded us from the wind and snow.  Thanks for your sacrifice, guys.  I hope I never have to be an outside penguin...
  • The years of my brother complaining about snowboarders (i.e., me) slowing everyone else down paid off (although I hate to encourage him).  Armed with a one-strap binding and some hopping skills (I guess you could call me a snow bunny. ha.), I'm proud to say I held no one up while strapping in and out of my board and while navigating the flat parts of the runs.
  • West Virginia clubs attract very weird clientele.  I was glad we brought our own party.  Although to be fair, our neon/flannel theme and Lil Jon singing must have made us look a little strange, as well.
  • I should have gone on the club ski trip to Park City...next year, I won't be missing any trips.  Or leaving my camera at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment